Retrieving BIM data for acoustic comfort calculation
This document aims at describing Retrieving BIM data for acoustic comfort calculation' use case which is implemented as part of BIM-SPEED EU Horizon2020 project, under grant agreement No. 820553, https://www.bim-speed.eu/en. https://www.bim-speed.eu/en, using the Ifc4Acoustic parser ETL, developed by CARTIF https://www.cartif.es/en/. This use case allows to obtain the calculation of the acoustic assessment of a building using the Acoustic Comfort tool developed by UNIVPM, www.univpm.it, to use in the first phase of the renovation process.
Use Case Definition
Aim and scope
The ‘IFC4AcousticParser Service’ implemented as part of BIM-SPEED project is developed with the need for the objectives set by the BIM-SPEED Project. It helps in:
- Reduced time and improved accuracy of results in renovation projects compared to traditional methods, as no user iteration is required to obtain the necessary data (only for the correct generation of the IFC file used as input) and calculations are performed with precise geometric operations and calculations.
Retrieve automatically the data needed by the Acoustic Comfort tool from an IFC file to obtain the acoustic assessment of a building, in order to know the acoustic class of the building in the design phase of the building renovation.
The comparison between the conventional practices for obtaining the acoustic assessment of a building, using a specific Acoustic Comfort tool, with the use of the BIM‑SPEED solution (Ifc4Acoustic parser server) is shown in the image below:
The tool needs as input an IFC that complies with the input requirements defined in the tool, if this is not the case, the results will not be valid.
- BIM-SPEED (2021) 3: Practical framework for BIM-based acoustic, thermal comfort, and indoor air quality assessment in renovation projects. BIM-SPEED Consortium, Berlin, Germany. See https://www.bim-speed.eu/en/results (accessed 26/07/2022).
- BIM-SPEED (2021) 2: BIM Connectors for interoperability between different BIM tools and with the BIM-SPEED Platform. BIM-SPEED Consortium, Berlin, Germany. See https://www.bim-speed.eu/en/results (accessed 26/07/2022).
- BIM-SPEED (2021) 2: A set of support tools and standardised procedures for BEM creation. BIM-SPEED Consortium, Berlin, Germany. See https://www.bim-speed.eu/en/results (accessed 26/07/2022).
- BIM: Building Information Modeling
- GUI: Graphical User Interface
- IFC: Industry Foundation Classes
- Sonia Alvarez Diaz, email@example.com (CARTIF Technology Centre)
- Mulero-Palencia, Sofía (CARTIF Technology Centre)
- Martarelli, Milena (UNIVPM)
All dokuments are licensed as a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
(Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike 4.0). Further information can be found at
The documents reflect the current best practice and do not claim to be complete. They should not to be understood in the sense of a generally valid recommendation or guideline from a legal point of view. The documents are intended to support appointing and appointed parties in the application of the BIM method. The documents must be adapted to the specific project requirements in each case. The examples listed do not claim to be complete. Its information is based on findings from practical experience and is accordingly to be understood as best practice and not universally applicable. Since we are in a phase in which definitions are only emerging, the publisher cannot guarantee the correctness of individual contents.
- Document Type : Use Case
- GUID : 28118201-BB46-4DC6-A650-7494D7A56611
- Identifier : BIMSpeed_UC26_CARTIF
- Life Cycle Stage : ISO 22263
- Revision : -
- Project Status : Approved
- Maturity level : Outlook
- Use Case: In Progress
- Processes: In Progress
- ER: In Progress
- Published on: Aug 31, 2022
- Last change: Sep 1, 2022
- Publisher: BIM Speed
- Author: Álvarez-Díaz, Sonia
Not registered yet?
Register for the Use Case Management Service for free to access the entire document.
Registered users can use the download area and the comment functions.