IFC-based railway BIM model validation
Submission for buildingSMART International «openBIM Award 2023»
- Category: Project Delivery Excellence / Handover
The lack of effective quality evaluation methods in the railway four-electricity digital engineering leads to a large number of BIM models only used for browsing in engineering construction, which can not be circulated and applied in the whole life cycle of engineering construction, seriously hindering the development process of railway digitalization.
In order to build a digital and high-quality development environment for railways, digital engineering validation has become particularly important. This project studies and determines the main contents of digital engineering detection, formulates and optimizes the relevant digital engineering standards needed by digital engineering validation, and develops a series of digital validation systems and tools, which lays the foundation for the circulation, delivery and application of digital engineering in the whole life cycle of engineering construction.
- Professional articles and BIM standards
Sort out different standard provisions and BIM standard provisions, summarize the identifiable and inspectable contents, and analyze the objects, conditions and requirements of the provisions.
- Research on IFC expression of articles
BIM model of railway engineering is created by different softwares. In this project, IFC standard is adopted to study the validation algorithm, and the standard clauses described in natural language are translated into structured IFC data expression.
- Model requirements and preparation
In order to meet the validation requirements, BIM model objects should be created according to certain requirements.
- Design of validation algorithm between digital specification and IFC data
According to the requirements of the specification, it is judged whether the attributes, states and geometrical features of the inspected objects in the BIM model meet the requirements of the specification.
- Validation software development
Develop laboratory testing software, on-site AR/VR testing software, configure the standard clause inspection library, and develop model input interface and analysis module, model inspection module, inspection report output interface, etc.
- Implementation of validation process
Carry out validation activities according to the following flow chart.
- Ensure the accuracy, standardization and integrity of digital engineering at all stages, improve the quality and technical level of digital engineering products, and enhance the application efficiency of digital engineering.
- Put forward the links of digital engineering laboratory testing and field testing, form a digital engineering product testing system, and improve the delivery level of digital engineering in railway industry.
- Introduce the detection system in the field of railway digital engineering, carry out the detection of railway digital engineering, realize the establishment, deployment, implementation and application of the digital engineering validation system of the railway four-electricity specialty, and effectively support the high-quality development, life-cycle circulation and application of digital engineering in the railway industry.
- ., FSDI&CARS
- Qiang Ma
- Junfu Zhao
- Peili Zhang
- Miaowei Chen
All documents are licensed as a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
(Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike 4.0). Further information can be found at
The documents reflect the current best practice and do not claim to be complete. They should not to be understood in the sense of a generally valid recommendation or guideline from a legal point of view. The documents are intended to support appointing and appointed parties in the application of the BIM method. The documents must be adapted to the specific project requirements in each case. The examples listed do not claim to be complete. Its information is based on findings from practical experience and is accordingly to be understood as best practice and not universally applicable. Since we are in a phase in which definitions are only emerging, the publisher cannot guarantee the correctness of individual contents.
- Document Type : bSI Award
- GUID : DA5361F0-B4CF-440E-A804-E748FFE435BA
- Identifier : bSI Award 23
- Revision : V1.0.0
- Project Status : Approved
- Published on: May 30, 2023
- Last change: May 31, 2023
- Publisher: buildingSMART China
- Author: ., FSDI&CARS | Qiang Ma | Junfu Zhao | Peili Zhang | Miaowei Chen
Not registered yet?
Register for the Use Case Management Service for free to access the entire document.
Registered users can use the download area and the comment functions.